Here's our top tips for sailing with children...
One of our team members from the London office, Magda has just got back from her sailing holiday, however this year there was one difference...she took her two adorable children with her! And since talking to her I think it's safe to say there are definitely pro's and con's to sailing with children! So to make sure you get the most out of your holiday check out our top tips of how to sail with kids!
Here's her handy hints...
- 1. Safety Netting! - This might seem like an obvious one but with curious little people this is the easiest way to make any boat safe.
- 2. Keep all lines, sheets and halyards neat and tidy - away from prying hands!
- 3. If you can, get a larger yacht so there's a larger seating/play area (a catamaran is ideal).
- 4. Involve the kids in as much as you can, whilst still ensuring safety on board is taken into consideration.
- 5. Wifi - If your kids are slightly older then wifi can be a simple solution to keeping the peace!
- 6. Side cockpit covers - if a boat has this capacity it's a great way to create shade so the children can play without you worrying about those harsh UV rays. If not then just keeping the bimini up is another solution!
So there you have it, a few helpful hints if you're worried about your first holiday with the newest members of your family. Another solution is having one of our skippers on board and then you can spend all your time enjoying yourself with your family and not worrying about things like sails, sheets, windlasses and so on!
Oh and if it all goes really wrong, just pop onshore and get some ice cream, all the parents out there will know this is a sure-fire way to cheer up any grumbly child (or adult)!
All photos are courtesy of Magda, head of flotilla sales and her beautiful family!